MADISON — The Wisconsin Alumni Research Foundation today announced annual support for the University of…
KU is looking for an experienced and highly motivated individual Searcher lead funded research as the Project Principal Investigator (PI) in the development of a 6U CubeSat platform for Low Earth Orbit (LEO) technology demonstration.
The objective of the project is to demonstrate the capabilities/performance of a number of space technologies developed at Khalifa University; namely a micro propulsion system and advanced space sensors. The project is of great strategic importance as the CubeSat 6U is considered a suitable platform for future ground and space explorations. This project also aims to provide multiple research opportunities for undergraduate and postgraduate students to acquire and enrich relevant knowledge.
Furthermore, the project aims to establish essential know-how in key areas of advanced space technologies to support not only the CubeSat-based constellation vision of the UAE for telecommunications and remote sensing, but also potential commercial adaptation as a startups/spin-offs.
The CubeSat will be fully designed, integrated and tested at Khalifa University under the direct supervision of the project PI. Under the project, the researcher will have access to state-of-the-art research equipment and facilities at KU Space Technology and Innovation Center – KUSTIC (https://www.ku.ac.ae/kustic) and get a unique opportunity to work alongside professors, researchers and graduate students from diverse backgrounds as part of a larger team.
The research scientist will also be in charge of KUSTIC’s Yahsat Space Lab (YSL) as a laboratory manager; responsible for managing the activities of the laboratory in accordance with the University’s research and development strategies, and for carrying out internationally competitive research, thereby contributing to the academic and research mission of the University.
- Lead YSL’s research strategy, as well as annual research plans, ensuring that best practices and excellence are promoted.
- Develop and manage budgets; monitor performance of budgets and report in a timely manner to ensure any potential discrepancies are addressed promptly.
- Lead the development of CubeSat as project PI.
- Provide coaching, guidance and mentoring as needed to enhance internal team capabilities and ensure achievement of established goals and plans.
- Recommend appropriate training courses according to predetermined training needs, evaluate their effectiveness and monitor their results.
- Hold periodic meetings with subordinates to ensure priorities are clear and workflow is running smoothly.
- Submit monthly status updates and quarterly management reports to track CubeSat development progress.
- Adhere to University information security and privacy policies and procedures and report breaches or other security risks accordingly
- Perform any other task assigned by the supervisor
- PhD in an appropriate STEM (science, technology, engineering, or math) discipline
- At least three (3) years of experience in leading spacecraft hardware development, integration and testing; especially in the field of advanced micro propulsion system
- Previous experience in the development, operation and management of satellite projects
- Expert-level knowledge in the field of the project, as evidenced by relevant publications and/or patents
- Track record of contributing to writing successful research grants
- A desire to contribute to a collaborative and supportive team culture
- Very good command of spoken and written English
- Ability to work both independently and as part of a team
- Demonstrated ability to lead and work on multiple tasks with competing demands and deadlines.
- Ability to train and mentor students and support other researchers
- Hands-on hands-on experience in a systems engineering role in multiple satellite projects
- Solid experience in research and project management
- Demonstrated previous collaborative work experience with professors and engineering professionals
- Strong interpersonal skills and in-depth understanding of academic/university structure
- Experience in leading competitive research grants as principal investigator or named co-investigator on the project team
If you need further assistance or have any problem with the online application, please do not hesitate to contact the recruitment team ([email protected]).
Main location: KUK – Khalifa University
Type of employment: Full time