From September 8-10, 2022, the National Catholic Studies Consortium held its second annual symposium at…
The Harvard Corporation has begun the search for the university’s 30th president. For this, the institution began to hear various views and thoughts from the Harvard community.
The presidential search follows Larry Bacow’s announcement that he will step down as president in June 2023, at the end of the 2022-2023 academic year.
Penny Pritzker, Senior Fellow of the Harvard Corporation and Chair of the Presidential Search Committee, invited the Harvard community to submit advice and nominations of people for the position. Advisory committees of faculty, students, and staff will structure community feedback.
“We are looking for a person of high intellectual distinction, with proven leadership qualities, a dedication to excellence in education and research, an ability to guide a complex institution through times of change, a talent for advancing progress and collaboration across a wide range of areas, a commitment to embracing diversity in many dimensions as a source of strength, and a dedication to the ideals and values at the heart of our learning community,” Pritzker wrote in a community post.
She continued: “Our goal is to identify a president who, like Harvard’s past leaders, will bring not only a deep devotion to Harvard’s excellence, but also a passion for the way Harvard – through its myriad of programs and its extraordinary people – can be a force for good in the world. ”
The members of the Presidential Recruitment Commission are:
- Timothy R. Barakett, AB ’87, MBA ’93, President, TRB Advisors;
- Kenneth I. Chenault, JD ’76, chairman and CEO, General Catalyst Partners, and former chairman and CEO, American Express;
- Paul Choi, AB ’86, JD ’89, Partner, Sidley Austin LLP;
- Mariano-Florentino (Tino) Cuéllar, President, Carnegie Endowment for International Peace, and former Justice, Supreme Court of California;
- Paul J. Finnegan, AB ’75, MBA ’82, co-CEO, Madison Dearborn Partners;
- Carla A. Harris, AB ’84, MBA ’87, senior client advisor, Morgan Stanley, and former chair, National Women’s Business Council;
- Tyler Jacks, AB ’83, Koch Professor of Biology, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, and Chairman, Break Through Cancer;
- Carolyn (Biddy) Martin, President, Amherst College;
- Karen Gordon Mills, AB ’75, MBA ’77, former trustee, US Small Business Administration, senior fellow, Harvard Business School and president, MMP Group;
- Diana L. Nelson, AB ’84, Co-Chair, Carlson Holdings, and Past Chair, Carlson;
- Tracy Pun Palandjian, AB ’93, MBA ’97, CEO and Co-Founder, Social Finance;
- Penny Pritzker (Chair), AB ’81, Founder and President, PSP Partners, and former US Secretary of Commerce;
- David M. Rubenstein, Co-Founder and Non-Executive Co-Chairman, The Carlyle Group;
- Shirley M. Tilghman, LL.D. ’04 (honourable), president skilled and Professor of Molecular Biology and Public Affairs at Princeton University;
- Theodore V. Wells Jr., JD ’76, MBA ’76, Partner, Paul, Weiss, Rifkind, Wharton & Garrison LLP.
Penny Pritzker, former U.S. Secretary of Commerce, civic and business leader, nonprofit administrator, and philanthropist, has been a Fellow of the Society since 2018.